Ah, a mouth-watering question that has divided dessert lovers for decades: why do we give birthday cake instead of birthday pie? It’s a mystery that has puzzled many pastry chefs and sugar fanatics alike. After all, pies come in all flavors and sizes, just like cakes do. And, they’re just as delicious. (Some would argue even more so.) So, why is it when it comes to birthday parties, cake always seems to…well.. take the cake?
In this blog post, we’ll explore the history behind birthday cake and maybe even settle the debate between birthday cake and birthday pie once and for all.
Why Do We Celebrate With Birthday Cake?
Birthday cake is one of the most vital components to a successful birthday celebration, and for good reason. It’s a fact that full bellies are simultaneously tied to big smiles and happier crowds. The tradition of celebrating with birthday cakes can be traced back to ancient Greece, when round cakes would be baked to honor the moon goddess, Artemis. In the 17th century, cakes became popular in Germany as part of children’s birthday celebrations. Cakes would include candles, which represented the child’s age and symbolize hope for a long and healthy life.
Today, birthday cake is a popular tradition that takes place all around the world. Singing “Happy Birthday” around the cake and blowing out the candles is a highlight of the celebration. The sweetness of cutting and sharing the cake with loved ones is a cherished tradition that marks another year of life.
Birthday Pie vs. Birthday Cake: What’s the Difference?
The main difference between birthday cake and birthday pie is the texture and the taste. Cakes are usually fluffy and moist, while pies have a filling with flaky crust. Cakes are often layered and decorated with frosting, while pies have a savory or sweet filling of fruits, creams or meats.
Whether you’re a fan of pie or a cake fanatic, the dessert you choose to have at your birthday celebration comes down to personal preference. Both desserts have their unique characteristics and can be customized to suit individual tastes.
The Best Birthday Pie Options
When it comes to selecting a pie for your birthday party, there are so many delicious options to choose from. Here are some of our favorite suggestions.
Classic Apple Pie
A timeless favorite that is loved by all, apple pie is a go to dessert for parties and gatherings. The sweet tart has a comforting taste of apple, cinnamon and nutmeg flavors that are sure to hit the spot!
Key Lime Pie
A tangy and refreshing dessert that is ideal for a birthday party in the summer. Key Lime pie has a sweet and tart filling that is best suited for someone with a citrus craving.
Chocolate Cream Pie
A great birthday pie for any chocolate lover, it’s hard to go wrong with a chocolate cream pie. Rich and decadent, this dessert is made with a chocolate crust and a scrumptious chocolate cream filling.
A wonderful option for a winter birthday, pecan pie is made with a crunchy nut filling and a buttery crust. The perfect combination of sweet and nutty, this birthday pie is sure to satisfy your pie cravings!
Fruity and delicious, the blueberry birthday pie is a great option for those who prefer fresh fillings. Bursting with juicy blueberries and topped with a flaky crust, this pie is definitely a crowd-pleaser.
Birthday Cake Pie
Offering something a little more unconventional, birthday cake pie is an easy alternative to birthday cake. Beginning with a crunchy vanilla cookie crust and a funfetti filling, this colorful birthday pie is perfect for the die-hard pie fanatic!
Birthday Cake Pie Recipe
This no-bake cheesecake-style birthday pie comes with birthday party flavors such as vanilla sponge, funfetti, almond extract and colorful sprinkles. Scroll below to find out how to make it!
Ingredients: You’ll Need
- 290 grams of golden Oreos/vanilla cookies (crumbed)
- 24 grams of granulated sugar
- 35 grams of unsalted melted butter
- 60 grams of almond flour
- 35 grams of unsalted butter
- 70 grams of granulated sugar
- 56 grams of heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
For Funfetti Filling:
- 226 grams of heavy cream
- 226 grams of cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of rainbow sprinkles
For Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, mix together the cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar.
- Pour the crumbs into a pie plate and start pressing the crust up to the sides of the pie plate. Form plate edges around the plate, making sure the crust is evenly distributed at the bottom in an even layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Put to the side and let the crust cool completely.
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender or a small food processor. Blend together until smooth. If the mixture is too think, add 1 tablespoon of cream at a time until the batter is a better consistency.
- With a hand mixer, whisk the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Set aside in a separate bowl.
- In an empty bowl, add the cream cheese, vanilla extract and sugar. Beat on a medium speed until completely smooth.
- Add ½ of the whipped cream into the bowl and fold with a hand spatula until combined.
- Add the remaining whipped cream to the bowl and gently fold until combined.
- Add the sprinkles and fold them in by hand.
- Slowly transfer the funfetti filling into the cookie crust and smooth over the top. Using a small spatula, swirl the batter on top.
- Place the assembled birthday pie in the refrigerator to set. It needs at least 6 hours of chilling time. Right before serving, place in the freezer for about 30 minutes for perfect slices of pie.
- Before serving, decorate the colorful sprinkles and candles.
We hope you enjoyed reading about birthday pie. And, remember, no matter what flavor you choose, a birthday pie is sure to make any birthday celebration extra unique!
You’ve learned about birthday pie: Now What?
- Discover our selection of birthday treats
- Discover more on our blog
- If you have any questions, visit our FAQ page or contact us today.
Born and raised in her beloved mother city Cape Town, Amy-Paige Cox is a writer, poet and plant mom. A hopeless romantic at heart, she loves exploring different parts of the world, all the while documenting her ever-changing perspectives with pen and paper. Although tempted by numerous interests, her life-long goal is to be a globe-trotting children’s book author.